Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Book Review : Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

Fangirl
Rainbow Rowell
Young Adult Contemporary
Paperback, 433 pages
10th September 2013 by St. Martin's Griffin

Goodreads Ratings : 4.20/5
My Rating : 4.5/5


Cath is a Simon Snow fan. Okay, the whole world is a Simon Snow fan, but for Cath, being a fan is her life—and she’s really good at it. She and her twin sister, Wren, ensconced themselves in the Simon Snow series when they were just kids; it’s what got them through their mother leaving.

Reading. Rereading. Hanging out in Simon Snow forums, writing Simon Snow fan fiction, dressing up like the characters for every movie premiere.

Cath’s sister has mostly grown away from fandom, but Cath can’t let go. She doesn’t want to.
Now that they’re going to college, Wren has told Cath she doesn’t want to be roommates. Cath is on her own, completely outside of her comfort zone. She’s got a surly roommate with a charming, always-around boyfriend, a fiction-writing professor who thinks fan fiction is the end of the civilized world, a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words . . . And she can’t stop worrying about her dad, who’s loving and fragile and has never really been alone.

For Cath, the question is: Can she do this? Can she make it without Wren holding her hand? Is she ready to start living her own life? And does she even want to move on if it means leaving Simon Snow behind?

From Goodreads


I just finished reading this book like an hour ago and now I’m staring blankly at my laptop screen for almost 10 minutes now, not knowing where and how to start.

/takes a deep breath/

Okay, first thing first, if you said you’re not in love with the cover art, youre lying to urself. THE COVER ART IS SUPER CUTE AND BRILLIANT AND IT HAS THE PERFECT  COLOUR SCHEME AND THE AWESOMEST FONTS. I just have to give a credit and one huge shiny star to the cover art.

/takes another huge breath/

I’m having a hard time doing this review actually because EVERYONE loves Fangirl. Like literally every single person that has read this book. Don’t get me wrong. I like Fangirl. Adores it even. But I wouldn’t go as far as giving this book 5 huge shiny stars. There are a few flaws that disturbs me but overall, Fangirl is brilliant.

Fangirl tells the story of a twin sisters (Cath and Wren, but mostly Cath) who are in their freshman year of college. New friends, new environment etc. This is somewhat relatable to me which it kinda reminds me of my first time in college. Truth be told, I had a hard time liking Cath in the first place. Her anxiety irritated me. I understand what it feels like to have a new environment to settle in, being homesick and all that (I even say ‘I don’t belong here’ in my head on a daily basis during the first 2 weeks of college. It was like a mantra of some sort lol) but she’s just too much. She doesn’t socialize. She eats protein bars instead of proper meals everyday simply because she’s too shy to ask where the cafeteria is. WHO DOES THAT ?! But as the story unfold, Cath grew on me. I like her even. So that’s not a problem anymore.

Another reason why I cant give this book a 5 star rating is because of the relationship between Cath and her mother.  It doesn’t end right. I want to know whether Cath will ever forgive her mother and stuffs but it just ends that way and im not satisfied.

I think the best part of this whole book is how there are a lot of conversations going on rather than paragraphs and paragraphs of descriptions. I have to admit here, books with excessive description lines bore me. Oh and another best part is the romance.

OH MY GOD THE ROMANCE GOT ME LIKE


 ALL. THE. FREAKING. TIME.

LEVI IS WONDERFUL. HE’S ALL SMILES AND RAINBOWS AND SUNSHINES AND BUTTERFLIES AND ALL THE SUGARY SPICE. I CAN TALK ABOUT LEVI ALL DAY. HE’S THAT GOOD.

And and and I like it so much when Levi calls Cath ‘sweetheart’. It’s like I could imagine/hear how sweet and soft his voice would be when the word rolls out of his mouth. (it’s like I’m the one he called sweetheart lol ok no)

Just read this

“Levi was all smiles and fond glances. “Sweetheart, get the door. I’ve got this.”
Cath pressed her fingertips into her temples. “Did you just call me ‘sweetheart’?”
He grinned. “It just came out. It felt good.”

And this

'Levi moved his arms around her waist until he was holding her properly. Then he pushed his mouth into her hair. "Read to me, sweetheart."'

And this

“Levi smiled gently and shrugged. “I’m not angry, sweetheart.”

EEEEEEEEEPPPPP !!!!
/faints/

Cath writes fanfiction on Simon Snow. Basically a yaoi between Simon and Baz. Which is a bonus for me because I love fanfics. I read a FREAKING LOT of EXO and 1D fanfics. Fanfics are awesome. Fanfics are life. End of story.

Overall, Fangirl is one awesome book. How Rainbow Rowell managed to write 3 stories in one book (the actual Cath story, the original Simon Snow and Carry On, Simon) totally amazes me. She’s just that good a writer.

Would I recommend it ?

Totally ! If youre looking for a light read yet you still want to be attacked with feels and tingles and squeals, Fangirl is a perfect book for you.


 “Happily ever after, or even just together ever after, is not cheesy,” Wren said. “It’s the noblest, like, the most courageous thing two people can shoot for.” 

― Rainbow Rowell, Fangirl

p.s. i had a hard time choosing which quotes to put down here. They are all so good !


No comments:

Post a Comment